Tuesday, January 03, 2006

3: Around the World


Since most of the pictures I've taken today are potential DPC shots, I've decided I'm allowed to use old pictures as well. Gives me incentive to go through them. So, yes, this will be more of an upload a picture a day project, but I will do my best to shoot something everyday.

This was taken in San Francisco (I wasn't wearing flowers in my hair) at the Golden Gate Bridge.

The guy is deaf and mute, and is on a quest to get into the Guinness Book of World Records by being the only deaf-mute person to travel the world on a motorbike. He had a scrapbook of pictures taken of him all over the world. He's now onto his third bike I think. He started in Minsk, and was currently hitting all 50 states in the US. Well, I'm not sure about Hawaii. He relies on donations from tourists like me to pay for gas. He had a list of every country he's been to. He also listed states/provinces where applicable.

He communicated with laminated writings, and also had a collection of newspaper clippings where he ahd been written up.

I had spotted his bike, and was trying to get a picture of his bike, when he came over and gave me the thumbs up. I had my 80-200 lens on, so that's why there isn't more of the bike. I thought about switching lenses, but I would have felt bad making him hold his pose while I changed it :-)

So, thought I'd share his quest and story with you. I'm sorry I can't remember more details, but you may run into him at some point and then you can see it in person.

And I liek Artyste's way of numbering the PAD's, so I'm adopting it, too

5 comments:

mike fairbanks said...

OK, so I'm gonna follow the trend here, what an interesting story, and I'm sure an interesting character to meet, the stories I bet he could tell, wonder if when he's done they'll make a movie or book about him, hope so.
Mike

Laurie L. Black said...

Very cool... and what an interesting story! :)

Vikas said...

I believe best moments captured are the ones that are totally casual and this shot really shows that!

Nice story, would have loved to see what bike it was, but thats just because other side of me is a biker, but not changing the lens would have missed this moments smile!

L2 said...

The guys expression just makes the shot. Had a big smile as soon as I saw it in response! Fantastic capture - I hardly noticed the bike at all until I read the story.

Reading all about the image is part of what makes participating in this PAD project so fun. Thanks for taking the time to do such a great write-up to go with your great shot!

Sonja (Photographer/Owner) said...

He looks like he is having to much fun in the cold weather. Need to check his temp. hehe.. great shot!