Wednesday, January 18, 2006

18: Icy City


First, trying a bigger picture for Chuck who noticed my pictures were getting really small. Hopefully this will be a bit better. Thanks for pointing this out!

Today's weather report said about 5 degree Celsius with rain. I thought, cool! Melt and get rid of some of the snow and ice on the ground. Good stuff. NOT!!

Freezing rain was the recipe for today, turning the city into solid ice. Pouring freezing rain, and a woman and I at the bus stop couldn't even get into the bus shelter because a little hill of ice was so slippery, we couldn't get over it and into the shelter.

An intersection on a hill at my university was so bad, pedestrians were literally stranded until the fire department came and set up a makeshift rail so they could cross the street. It made the evening news!

To top it all off, during my biology lab, there was a fire alarm. Tons of students, in lab coats, with no umbrellas and regular coats, slipping and sliding around trying to figure out what the heck is going on and where we're suppose to go. I managed to find solace in another building, but it took a while to get there because of the ice.

All in all, ridiculous day, and to people who say global warming and irregular weather patterns are not influenced by global warming, I say you should phooey on you.

I missed the infamous ice storm in the early part of 1998, but with only one day of freezing rain, I can't even imagine what it was like with almost a week of this stuff.

All this to say, I wanted a picture of today, and this was the best I could do. Long exposure from my porch, and I know there is that lovely branch in the picture, but I'm to lazy to clone it out. You can't really tell, but the sidewalk is solid ice, and most of the street is not pleasent either, except for where the tires travel. A car also passed through during the exposure, giving me those light streams on the street. So, that what the day was like in a nutshell.

5 comments:

ursula said...

Sounds like a treacherous, bad day. I like the picture though.

TonyV said...

I quiet like this. It gives a feeling of cold dreariness (is that a word?). But the thing on the left is very distracting.

L2 said...

You nailed the freezing cold here - no doubt about it.

Great story!

Edward said...

We got snow too, but I'm so tired of taking photographs of snow. lol.

m--e said...

Yeah, we got a little snow today too. Nothing like that though. Perhaps you could try cropping out about the left 1/3 of the photo? I like the way the sun is peeking out from under the tree and the purplish sky. One of my tricks if I don't like the photo too much is to crop and crop until I find one interesting part of it. Maybe that's bad advice, but maybe worth a try too!