Saturday, February 18, 2006

49: 300,000 Clicks!


This is my boyfriend (in yesterday's PAD) car. He just passed 300,000 kilometers today on our way to the country. He's never had a car for this long, so he was very excited. Good thing we were in the country because we simply stopped just on the side of the road and took pictures.

Today was gorgeouscompared to yesterday. Freezing cold, but their had been freezing rain and CRAZY winds (up to 110 kph) yesterday. There was a 70 (!!) car pile up outside of the island of Montreal. One person died, and two major injuries if I recall correctly. Due to the wind being so strong, there were sudden white out conditions on the highway. Naturally, everyone slows down. However, roads were already icey, and this resulted in this horrific accident. There was another huge accident outside of Ottawa I beleieve.

For you warm weather people who never see snow, a white out is when the snow is blowing so much, you can't see anything except white. It can be very disorienting if you are walking because you can't even tell what is up or down anymore.

I was going to do errands and go to my last lecture yesterday. Needless to say, I did neither. The pictures in today's paper of people getting litteraly swept off their feet made me glad I didn't.

Yes I know weather is erratic and unpredictable, but this winter has been simply ridiculous. Yes, I blame this on global warming. I'm tired of having ice covered streets and sidewalks. March weather in january, and January waether in February.

One suggestion: stop idling your car! So often, I see cars running with nobody in them. Yes I know it's nice to go to a warm car, but few minutes of cold isn't going to hurt anyone, and you can cut your cars emissions! Every little bit helps at this point.

3 comments:

mike fairbanks said...

Woot, whats that in miles??? Nice to have a memento of this occasion though!

Vikas said...

@Mike 187500 miles

Agreed on global warming, weather has been so bizzare everywhere. I was in my home country and its the same there, crazy weather. Its cold at places its never been this cold and places that use to get snow has stayed warm through out the winter. This lack of snow will cause the rivers to dry up during summer, which will decrease the crop yeild!

m--e said...

Our weather has been crazy here in South Dakota too. Fun stuff. (not) I also took a photo of my car when it got to 200,000 miles. If I am doing the conversion right, 300,000 kilometers equals 187,500 miles.