Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Day 4: Entomology


So today was the entomology section for my group. I never knew bugs could be so much fun! I've known about the ecological significance of insects, but today, we went out in the field and learned bug collecting techniques, how to mount (pin) them, and how to separate them based on their morphological features. Rachel and I went out hunting and turned over a huge rock and found this very cool millipede under it. We didn't need it for our purposes, but the prof let me bring it back to take some pictures of. We went twice, once in the afternoon and once at dusk. The second time there was the cattle egret in the water logged areas, so I snapped a couple of pictures. I wish I had my telephoto, but I'm sure there will be a time and place to get some more shots of these guys.

I have a new found respect for insects, and my mild phobia of them has disappeared upon realizing the vast majority are harmless. The second time out, I took a sweeper net and focused on butterflies and flies, and got some specimens the prof was happy with. We learned how to mount butterflies and moths as well. I may go out and get a sweeper net and start a small collection of Quebec butterflies. Of course, I have many other projects I would like to do as well, so we shall see if this one comes to fruition!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Kiyoko
These photos are amazing!!! However, I would like to see one of you next time. I miss everybody and will see you in September to lend you a hand
Love
Christine